2.23.2008

Lost And Found

I have lost a lot of things, some valuable and some not so valuable in terms of money, but they had value in other ways. I lost my dog one time only to find that someone had picked him up and decided to keep him for them selves. Well, needless to say I hunted for him and found him. He was glad to see me!

I was reading about a shepherd that lost one of his sheep. He had about 100 but one was gone and had gotten lost in the thicket. He did just what I would have done. I imagine you would do something like he did as well. You wouldn't just let him go. He left the rest of the flock with some of his helpers, and went out himself to find the lost sheep. He could have sent one of the helpers but he wanted to go himself! It was important to him!

I received a Silver dollar in 1972, it was brand new and I decided to carry it in my pocket. Well after about ten years of having that silver dollar in my pocket, suddenly one day, I noticed it was gone. I began to search, I back tracked my steps, looked every where, no luck! It was gone. I really missed sticking my hand into my pocket and feeling that silver dollar. I never forgot that silver dollar, oh, I could have gotten another one but that one seemed special.

About a year later my oldest son had been playing out in the sand and came rushing into the house, very excited! I wondered what on earth was the matter? In his little hand was my 1972 silver dollar, we had a spell of excitement right then! Believe it or not, I still have that same dollar in my pocket right now. It has now worn down to where you can hardly make out "Ike's" image and the date is gone too. I still enjoy feeling it when I reach into my pocket.

Many years ago I found something that was more valuable than money, or even gold. I wasn't even looking for anything at the time. It's funny how you can go along for long periods of time, not looking for anything, and then all of a sudden you find something that changes your whole life. My friend, I don't know if you have ever had this kind of a thing happen to you or not. You will never forget when you find something so valuable that well, let's put it this way You find a "pearl of great price".Most of the time when you find something of great value, there is the offer of a nice reward but in order to receive the reward you have to give up what you found. Well, guess what! What I found I not only was able to keep it, but I also have a great reward coming and there is also benefits from now until I receive the reward. Isn't that great? WOW!!

This happened to me around 50 years ago and I am still receiving benefits. I guess you would like to know more about this wonderful "find" that I made.

Back when I was a young child I went to Sunday School and my teacher said that God was real and He would also give rewards to those that served Him. Even though I was to young to know much about serving God, there was a seed planted deep into my being. I went my own way for a long time until I found this "Pearl of great price". It was kind-of like this, I was going along minding my own business thinking I was doing pretty good. I had a good job, home, nice car, enjoyed sports, had three little boys and a beautiful wife. Something started going on in my thoughts, I started thinking about death. I had a Boss that told me on Monday he knew weeks and even months ahead what was going to happen. He went to the hospital with a stomach ache on Wednesday and died on Friday that same week. We never know do we?

My thoughts bothered me for several months and then suddenly I had a pain hit me like I had never experienced the like of. I couldn't hardly breathe, then there came my thoughts again, but this time I had a new thought with the old ones. The new thought seemed to almost speak out loud to me and said, Serving God is trusting God, trusting God is commitment of your life to God! I remembered that same Sunday School teacher when I was a little said, If you pray a simple prayer and mean it, God will be your God and you will be His child. That is when I gave up and said in a simple prayer to God, asking Him to be my God and let me be His child. I still can not explain how good I felt, kind-of like I had taken a bath on the inside! My whole life changed

From that day to this, He has done just exactly that, He has been my God! You know, I said I found a "Pearl of great price"? The truth of the matter is He found me! I wasn't looking for Him but He was looking for me.

Maybe God is looking for you. You may have thought you stumbled onto this article by accident. But, all the while He was directing you. You too can have this "Pearl of great Price" and you will receive benefits as well as the reward of everlasting life. Jesus Christ is of course that "Pearl of great Price". He came and gave himself for all of man-kind, will you believe on Him today? You'll never be the same!

I will talk more some other time about other lost and found things in my life.

Have you been involved in lost and found during your lifetime? Tell me about it and maybe others will read it and be helped. God Bless you,

E-Mail: dgr31@yahoo.com

Pastor Dave, Ocala, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment